Saturday, October 18, 2008

Play Date Dallas Part 2






I published my first post on Play Date Dallas September 23, 2008. Check it out for details regarding the Play Date concept. My first impression of Play Date Dallas was lackluster for a number of reasons, but I suspected that Play Date Dallas had potential so I determined to give it another chance. That second chance happened yesterday at Sankofa & Bar. I was not disappointed. I had a good time last night and here's why.

1) Taboo! - Need I say more?

2) A much better venue. My first experience with Play Date Dallas took place at Boston's restaurant. Boston's is a perfectly fine casual dining restaurant but is poorly configured for a night of mixing, mingling, and game playing (see my original post on September 23, 2008). Sankofa had a much better layout that worked well for the Play Date concept. It was easy to move in between tables to check out the action and to find opportunities to join in the fun. It was also easy for groups at adjacent tables to interact with each other. At Boston's, approximately 40% of the seating was high-backed booths which limited interaction.

3) Early arrival time. Play Date events begin at 8pm and end at 2am. If you truly want to play games, mix, and mingle in a low-key setting, arrive no later than 8:30pm and stay no longer than 10:30pm. At 10pm the laid-back vibe fades and the typical "club" vibe and all its usual patrons begin to emerge.

In the end, I am absolutely recommending Play Date Dallas to all who are curious. It is not special because of its novel concept, but because it offers the best of both worlds. If you want to have a good time without the pomp and circumstance of a nightclub, show up early. And if clubbing is still your thing, show up late and all is well.

TIP: Sign up for their e-mail list to receive advance notification of Play Date events. I haven't been spammed so far, but who knows if and/or when they'll sell my e-mail address to the highest bidder.

No comments: