Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cretia's Flour and Flowers

215 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Duncanville, TX 75116

No matter how old we get, how successful we become, or how fabulous we think we are, a visit to Grandma’s* house always brings us back down to earth. Perhaps it is because of the complete lack of pretense at Grandma’s house. Perhaps it is because of the decorum and ladylike behavior that Grandmas often require. Perhaps it is because of the lingering smell of vanilla and sugar that remind us of childhood – a time when words like “success” and “fabulous” had not yet entered our lexicon. For all these reasons, lunching at Cretia’s Flours and Flowers (Cretia’s) is like a visit to Grandma’s house: comforting and unashamedly ladylike.

When I crossed the threshold into Cretia’s, I was enveloped by soft pink hues and flower prints. Women’s hats perched on top of hat stands and wrought iron chairs had backs formed into hearts. The waitstaff was uncommonly polite and attentive and gave me the uneasy feeling that if my elbows rested on the table or if I spoke with my mouth full, it would definitely be noticed. I should point out here that I dined at the original Cretia’s in Duncanville. A second location has opened in the trendy Uptown area of Dallas. I suspect that the vibe at this location, “Cretia’s on McKinney” is totally different from its predecessor and requires a separate review.

My lunch was a simple spinach salad with blue cheese and strawberries, and half of a turkey and cheese sandwich on croissant. For dessert, I had an equally simple slice of vanilla cake. I did walk on the wild side with my tea selection. I chose some sort of Russian blend. None of my meal components was particularly remarkable or inventive, but they were enjoyable just the same. Remember, grandmas don’t try to impress; they’re too busy making you feel welcome and wondering why you haven’t visited in so long. The same is true for Cretia’s. Cretia’s makes you feel comfortable, feeds you well, and encourages you to stay as long as you like just like your Grandma would.

*or “Nanna” or “Me-maw” or “Big Mama” or “Granny”

Tip 1: Lunch is lighter fare: soups, sandwiches, and salad. It’s more “tea room” than restaurant.

Tip 2: Cretia’s is also a full-service bakery with a fantastic selection. My slice of vanilla cake, though simple, was positively scrumptious!

Tip 3: Though I’m sure Cretia’s values its male customers, it just seems to be a place more suited to women (at least during lunch anyway).

Tip 4: Do NOT click “Home” on the restaurant’s webpage. Doing so takes you to a page that I’m pretty sure isn’t written in English (at least that’s what happened at the time of this posting).

Visit Cretia’s online at http://www.cretias.com/restaurant.html


Have you been to the Uptown location? Tell me about it in the comments section!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We certainly appreciate the shout-out! Do keep reading; we'll keep blogging.

-- Dave Levinthal