Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Brooklyn Jazz Cafe

1701 South Lamar St.
Dallas, TX 75215
214.428.0025

I’m surprised that it has taken me so long to write this review given the number of times I’ve been to Brooklyn’s. Perhaps it’s because I’ve had a long-standing love/hate relationship with the venue and have been conflicted over whether to give it a positive review or a negative one. Perhaps I keep hoping it will get better with time. It’s a tough decision to make; there are so many things to consider. Therefore, in true Libra fashion, I choose not to decide. Instead, I will list Brooklyn’s pros and cons (as I understand them) and let you, my dear readers, weigh them for yourselves.

PROS:
Location – Located on Lamar St. just south of downtown Dallas, Brooklyn’s is convenient for those African-Americans who live in Southern Dallas and Dallas’s southern suburbs.
Crowd – Brooklyn’s is definitely for a mature, predominately African-American crowd. Late twenty-somethings, thiry-somethings, and even a few forty-somethings are the most common patrons. There is no DJ - only live music - and I can’t recall ever seeing a “white tee.”
Entertainment Value – A well-stocked bar, a full dinner menu (and Sunday brunch), and live jazz nightly.
Parking – There’s plenty of it – valet and street parking.
Patio – During the cooler months, it’s nice to sit on the patio. It’s quite large, and there are speakers and monitors so you can enjoy the live music being played inside.

CONS:
Food – I’ve been to Brooklyn’s for brunch, happy hour, dinner, and dessert and I have yet to enjoy any of my meals. The food is mediocre at best; and given the prices on the menu, I expect better.
Patio – Apparently, word has gotten out that the patio can be reserved for large parties and special events. Therefore, the patio isn’t always available to enjoy.
Layout – This is probably my biggest problem with the venue. Let’s be honest, though Brooklyn’s may have been envisioned as a supper club from the days of old, the reality is that Brooklyn’s is where the “mature” crowd goes “hunting” for new acquaintances (if you get my drift). As such, the layout is not very mingle-friendly. In essence, you’re faced with two options upon entering:


  1. [if you get there early enough] sit at one of the tables positioned so closely together that it’s too much trouble to get up again once you’ve been seated (mostly women), or

  2. stand at the bar which can only comfortably accommodate about 15 people, but instead is usually surrounded by 35+ people (mostly men) not including the waitstaff who have to walk back and forth to the bar to serve those who are seated.

It’s a hassle and it creates a situation such that one can only “mingle” if one loiters at the bar which isn’t nearly large enough to accommodate the traffic.
Music – Some of the bands are better than others, but all of the bands are too loud. If you’re seated inside Brooklyn’s you can barely hear yourself think, let alone hear the person sitting/standing next to you. I know that jazz is the main attraction, but so is the “hunt” remember?

So, you tell me. Is Brooklyn’s a hit or a miss? Speak on it in the comments section.


http://www.brooklynjazzcafe.com/default.php

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear what you're saying, but Brooklyn's is definitely a HIT. We don't have a lot to choose from so Brooklyn's is a nice choice.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a miss. It wants to be upscale, but it's not even close. There are better options still close to downtown.

Anonymous said...

HIT!

Anonymous said...

Maybe now I'll let my friend off the hook for choosing not to take me to Brooklyn's on my last visit to Dallas. His reasoning: you can't mingle there. Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Big Miss!

Anonymous said...

I thought Brooklyn's was on Bishop Avenue???

Anonymous said...

Dreemer, Brook started out on Bishop Ave but they moved to Lamar a while back. Where you been???