Monday, September 15, 2008

State Fair of Texas - September 26 - October 19, 2008


Fair Park, Dallas



I have attended the State Fair of Texas (the largest state fair in the country, thank you very much) for most of my life. Even when I lived several states away, I made it a point to fly home for the Fair every year. Attending the Fair reminded me that no matter how far away I lived or how long I stayed away, Texas would always be in my heart. Now that I've moved back home to Dallas, the Fair hasn't lost its appeal. In fact, it has only risen in my esteem.


I've learned that there is more to the Fair than fried food, free concerts, livestock competitions, the auto show, and college football. There are museums, educational exhibits, cultural events, bird and dog shows, petting zoos and a mini-farm for the kids, and much much more.


I like to think of the State Fair of Texas as the great equalizer in Dallas. No matter the color of your skin, the language you speak, the amount of money in your wallet, or the year of your birth, the State Fair of Texas has something for everyone.


I invite you all to come out this year. Big Tex and I will be looking for you!


2 comments:

Alyssa Gardina said...

I'm looking forward to the fair as well - I just started working at The Women's Museum at Fair Park, so I'm going to get a firsthand look at my first state fair!

Lady of Leisure said...

Congratulations on your new job!! Your first state fair? I think you're in for a real treat. Find every excuse you can to leave work and wander around. You'll need several days to take it all in. I'm so excited for you!